Monday, April 27, 2009

Garage Sale Season Kickoff!


Garage Sale Season has officially kicked off here in good ol' Cedar Rapids. It's been about 2 weeks now and the Penny Saver/Craiglist/local paper have more and more ads for garage sales going on. Last year, my neighbor hosted the very first neighborhood sale and we weren't able to join because we were still in the "unpacking" stage but this year . . . . we participated!!! I was SOOOOOOOO excited cuz' it my very first garage sale ever!!! I 've always wanted to do one in LA but never had the chance to.

So . . . with 2 weeks to prepare I searched and searched every single cabinet, corner, boxes, you name it . . I checked it out and cleared it out! I found TONS of toys that the kids have outgrown. I also found tons of clothes that I never, ever wear anymore, little knick-knacks around the house, and of course, kid's clothes that they've outgrown or worn-out. The first week I was busy hunting for stuff, the second week I was busy pricing, and helping my friend set up.

With 6 families joining in to participate, she had her 3-car garage jammed-pack full of stuff/junk. We did a 3-day garage sale, Thurs. (3-7) , Fri. (8-2) and Sat. (8-12). The day of, I started bringing my goods over to her place at 1:00 . . . thinking I had 2 hours to set up. But believe it or not, at 2:00 people started showing up. Well . . . let's back track a bit by 1 day, Wednesday afternoon, my friend had someone come to her house wanting to get an early preview . . . my friend couldn't say No so . . . $160 later she made her very first sale. The day of . . . while playing outside with the kiddies (noon time) . . . I saw a lady walking toward my friend's house, and guess what . . another person wanting a "preview" and $300 later another sale.

So . . back to the story . . . at 2:00 people started showing up and my friend (again) could not say No so . . . because 1 showed up and shop . . more and more came and before we knew it, it was in FULL swing with TONS of people shopping, rummaging through bins and bins and bags and bags of stuff not unpacked yet before our official start time which was suppose to be 3:00.

By 4:00 on our first day, I was already tired of cleaning up and setting up!

It's amazing how anxious and popular garage sales are around here!!! We had cars parked all over the block and people kept on coming and coming and shopping and shopping! The first day, of course, was the busiest. The second day, not as much, and by the third day, it was totally and utterly slow but overall, we did pretty good selling our stuff/goods/junk! It was FUN :oD . . . . I can't wait to have another garage sale!!!

Garage Sales are BIG around here because like the saying goes . . .
"One man's junk is another man's treasure!"


Check out more pictures from this link:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=190088&id=1210394620&l=bbc78d0325

No comments: